Level Correlation Chart
This correlation chart illustrates how Learning A-Z Levels approximately correlate to other leveling systems commonly found in leveled reading materials. The Learning A-Z Text Leveling System uses objective (quantitative) and subjective (qualitative) Leveling Criteria to measure text complexity.
Teachers should use their professional judgment of additional qualitative criteria along with reader and task considerations to determine if an individual book at a given level is appropriate for a student.
|Reading A-Z Level|
* Lexile® bands are certified through a partnership with MetaMetrics®.
Criteria for Leveling Raz-Kids Books
- Word count
- Number of different words
- Ratio of different words to total words
- Number of high-frequency words
- Ratio of high-frequency words to total words
- Number of low-frequency words to total words
- Ratio of low-frequency words to total words
- Sentence length
- Sentence complexity
- Language pattern and repetition
- Print size, spacing, and number of words per page
- Illustration support
- Concept load
- Topic familiarity